The USPS has filed a rate increase with the Postal Regulatory Commission. The new rates are expected to be approved and will be effective on January 22, 2023. The good news is direct mail still is very an effective tool in driving response. The Association of National Advertisers response rate report shows an average ROI of 112% on direct mail, the highest of any marketing channel. What do the new rates mean for you? Get your rate chart now!
Below are a few of the basic rate changes. Get details by filling out the form on the right.
First Class Regular
- One ounce stamped letter size pieces will increase to $0.63 each
- One ounce metered letter size will increase to $0.60 each
- One ounce Flats size pieces will increase to $1.26 each
First Class Presorted
- Mixed AADC letters will increase to $0.531 each
- Mixed AADC cards will increase to $0.381 each
- Mixed ADC Presorted flats will increase to $1.068 each
- Mixed AADC Letters will increase to $0.360 each
- Mixed ADC Flats will increase to $0.896 each
- Mixed AADC Letters will increase to $0.213 each
- Mixed ADC Flats will increase to $0.681 each
The biggest take away from these rate changes is that presorted first class mail and flats are growing more and more expensive. Flats do have a good ROI even at increased postage. Make sure you take that into consideration before you choose to no longer send flat size mail.
The Postal Service is offering 6 promotional discounts again in 2023. Do you have a planned strategy to not only save money on postage but really stand out and increase your response rates? There are a variety of programs to choose from, so you should be able to find at least one that is a good fit for you. If you want, you can actually participate in all 6! Ask us how!
Direct mail postage rates may be rising, but direct mail will continue to drive great results! Consumers like and respond to direct mail. There are many things you can do to keep your costs under control.
Top 3 cost controls:
- Make sure to clean your list of bad addresses, use a move update service like NCOA to make sure you have current addresses, and suppress deceased people.
- Make sure to design with postal regulations in mind so that you don’t get stuck paying extra postage. Your mail service provider can check your design before you print.
- You will also want to segment your list to select the right targets for your message. Sending the right offer to the right person is key to increasing your response rates.
Don’t let the postage rate increases scare you away from this important marketing channel. Direct mail has the highest ROI of all marketing channels when done correctly. On average the postage rates increased by less than a penny per piece, so they are not going to drastically increase your overall direct mail budgets, but it is important to account for the additional postage funds. It’s time to get creative and send direct mail that is interesting as well as cost effective. Don’t let the 2023 postage rate increase get you down, we can help you get better results!
If you have questions or would like to participate in any of the promotions contact us today. We are glad to help!