USPS 2021 Postage Rate Increase
Expect postage rates to increase on January 24, 2021. For the most part they are modest increases. On October 9, 2020 the USPS filed direct mail postage rate increases with the Postal Regulatory Commission. We expect the PRC to approve the rates in November. Get your rate chart now!
Here are the few of the USPS 2021 Postage Rate Increase basic rates:
First Class Regular
- One ounce stamped letter size pieces will remain $0.55 each
- One ounce metered letter size will increase to $0.51 each
- One ounce Flats size pieces remain the same at $1.00 each
First Class Presorted
- Presorted letters will remain the same at $0.45 each
- Presorted cards will increase to $0.285
- Presorted flats will increase to $0.774
- Mixed AADC Letters will increase to $0.304
- Mixed AADC Flats will increase to $0.726
- Mixed AADC Letters will increase to $0.183
- Mixed AADC Flats will increase to $0.532
Direct mail postage rates are rising because of the USPS 2021 postage rate increase, but you can still get great direct mail results. In order to get the most bang for your buck call us to discuss your options. We can help you with designing for the most cost-effective postage as well as cleaning your data to remove bad addresses before you mail to them. Segmentation is another great way to save money by only sending the offer to the people most interested in it. There are so many ways direct mail can help you reach your marketing goals.
Don’t forget about SmartMail! SmartMail operates on a 7-step process, where regular direct mail only operates on one. It is not a suite of services, but a seamlessly integrated system that maximizes your marketing impact. Instead of just sending out mail pieces, SmartMail consists of Mail Pieces, Mail Tracking, Informed Delivery, Online & Social Media Follow Up Ads, Call Tracking and more. Call us today to get started!
USPS promotions are back for 2020, so you can save money on direct mail postage. There are a variety of programs to choose from so you should be able to find at least one that is a good fit for you. If you are doing mailings anyway why not participate in a promotion and save money on postage. The 6 2021 promotions are: Earned Value Reply Mail; Emerging and Advanced Technology; Informed Delivery; Mobile Shopping; Personalized Color Transpromo; and Tactile, Sensory, and Interactive Engagement. All 6 were offered in 2020 and the same 2 percent postage savings is offered for 2021.
- Tactile, Sensory & Interactive Promotion – This program runs February 1, 2021 – July 31, 2021. This program is to highlight the benefits of including special finishing technologies that engage the senses. Some ideas are special visual effects, sound, scent, texture/tactile coatings, and even taste. In addition, interactive mail pieces such as pop-ups, infinite folds, or other dimensional aspect. This is a really fun one that can only be done with print marketing.
- 2019 Emerging and Advanced Technology Promotion – This program runs March 1, 2021 – August 31, 2021. This program is to promote the use of mobile technology in direct mail. This can be done with Augmented Reality, NFC, Video and more.
- 2019 Earned Value Promotion – This program runs April 1, 2021 – June 30, 2021. This program is to help slow the decline of first class mail by incentivizing the use of business reply mail and courtesy reply mail.
- 2019 Personalized Color Transpromo Promotion – This program runs July 1, 2021 – December 31, 2021. This program is to encourage the use of color marketing messaging on bills and statements.
- 2019 Mobile Shopping Promotion – This program runs August 1, 2021 – December 31, 2021. This program targets companies selling products during the holiday shopping season. It encourages the addition of mobile technology to make a purchase or other online shopping experiences through the use of QR codes, watermarks and more.
- 2019 Informed Delivery Promotion – This program runs September 1, 2021 – November 30, 2021. To incentivize businesses to use Informed Delivery they are offering postage discounts. Informed Delivery is an email that gets sent to people each day with pictures of their mail pieces to let them know what is coming in their mail box.
You can participate in as many of the promotions as you would like. Each promotion requires registration to participate and reporting after the mailing is complete, but they are worth the savings. Don’t let the USPS 2021 postage rate increase stand in your way, save postage with any of the 6 promotions. If you have questions or would like to participate in any of the promotions Contact us today. We are glad to help!